ISAZISO/MUNICIPAL NOTICE/KENNISGWING 17/2014
ISICELO SOKUBA UBE KWISI GQEBA SOPHICOTHO ZINCWADI KU MASIPALA WASE MAKANA
REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS TO SERVE ON THE AUDIT COMMITTEE OF THE MAKANA MUNICIPALITY
VERSOEK VIR AANSOEKE OM TE DIEN OP DIE OUDIT KOMMITEE VAN DIE MAKANA MUNISIPALITEIT
Makana Municipality calls on independent suitably qualified and interested individuals to serve as members of its Audit Committee for period of (3) years.
OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In accordance with the provisions of Section 166 of the Municipal Finance Management Act (56 of 2003), each Municipality is required to constitute an Audit Committee that will serve as an independent advisory body which must advise the Municipal Council, Accounting Officer and Management. The Audit Committee’s effectiveness in attaining its objective depends on its members’ knowledge and competence in financial reporting, effective governance, internal controls, audit and risk management which must add value to the municipality in line with section 166 of Municipal Finance Management Act.
Bcom Accounting/Internal Audit or equivalent preferable with articles and expertise in Local Government/Public Sector, Legal, Information Technology, Human Resources, Performance Management Systems, MBA, CIA and/or CA(SA) would be highly preferred.
Prospective member must have extensive experience in financial reporting, risk management, auditing standards, GRAP requirements and performance management.
Excellent analytical and good communication skills.
General experience of management in the municipal sector environment will be an advantage.
Sound knowledge and understanding of local government is also essential.
Residents of the Makana Municipality area of jurisdiction are encouraged to apply.
Integrity, independence, objectivity, dedication, understanding of public sector business cycles and controls, knowledge of internal and external audit functions in the Municipality or Public Sector,knowledge of the Municipal Finance Management Act and Treasury Regulations, implications on a constitutional institution, possess knowledge of management principles and high level of ethics, corporate governance principles/King III and independent judgment.
Persons interested in this function and who are highly qualified therefore will be expected to advise on amongst others on the following matters relating to:
- Advise the Council, Accounting officer and Management staff.
- Internal Audit.
- Internal financial controls.
- Accounting policies.
- Risk Management.
- Adequacy, reliability and accuracy of financial reporting and information;
- Performance management.
- Effective governance
- Performance evaluation.
- Review annual financial statements.
- Review compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Respond to council on any issues raised by the Auditor General in the audit report.
- Carry out any investigations into the financial affairs of the Municipality as the Council may request.
- Any other issues referred to it by the municipality.
TERMS OF OFFICE
Prospective member of the audit committee will be contracted for three years after which the Council will review the contract.
The remuneration of audit committee members is at the discretion of Municipal Council and in compliance with treasury guidelines.
SEQUENCE OF MEETINGS
A minimum of four meetings will be held in a financial year.
1. Applicants who have not received any response within 30 days of the closing date should regard their application as unsuccessful.
2. A candidate who canvasses any councilor or official for preference will be disqualified immediately from selection process or from appointment.
3. All candidates may be subjected to vetting before appointment.
4. The municipality reserves the right to/not to appoint.
Each applicant must submit the following:
- A signed application letter.
- Comprehensive CV.
- Certified copies of qualifications.
- Certified copy of identity document.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS, PLEASE REFER TO WW.MAKANA.GOV.ZA
Enquiries: Mr. Akhona Ngcauzele – 046 602 4411 or AkhonaNgcauzele@makana.gov.za
All applications must be sent to: The Municipal Manager, Makana Municipality, P. O. Box 176, GRAHAMSTOWN, 6140
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSIONS: On or before 04 June 2014 16H30
MR. THEMBA MNGUNI
ACTING MUNICIPAL MANAGER